Wednesday, 17 February 2010

They're at it again.

On this page, we can see the motions that are coming to the Union AGM. We're not allowed to read them yet, for some reason, but we can see the titles:


Firstly, I've no idea what 6.1 is doing there. It's not an emergency motion; so far as I know the occupation ended ages ago. I'll write about occupation tactics another time, but be warned, I don't like them.

As for motions, I don't see UCL increasing library opening hours when a) they're already open 24/7 during and preceding exams and b) there are cuts happening left, right and centre. It takes money to keep buildings open - security for a start, not to mention energy costs. I think the best we can hope for in this climate is for them not to reduce library opening hours. (See, I am anti-cuts really.)

No idea what Eden Springs water is, or why we should or shouldn't do anything about it. Well done whoever wrote that title.

Motion to reclaim our Union...from what? Last I checked there's six sabbs in charge. I even voted for a couple of them. Let's wait and see for this one.

Pay all Union staff a living wage. I think Cheesegrater said this had already been to the Union once, and was rejected because we don't have enough money. We've apparently got plenty in the bank, but why should we pay regular staff costs out of our savings - that's for doing up the bars (which I wish they'd hurry up and do - the chairs in 2nd Floor Bar are rubbish) and investing in clubs and societies. If they want to raise prices to do it, sure. But wait til I go to the Court instead and see if you can afford it then. Common sense, my dears.

7.5 is uncontentious. (Apart from a rather threatening letter the NUS Black Students Officer, who's in charge of the Black Students Campaign, sent to the Durham debating society, but that's another matter entirely.)

And finally the darling of the left, a motion about everything they can think of. What if a student doesn't agree with one of those aims? They have to vote no. There are good bits of modern languages review - a couple of my friends doing languages say using the language centre would probably be a not half bad idea.

I'll have more when we can see the motions themselves. I might write to the Democracy Officer and ask why we're not allowed yet. I'll also post about the Special Resolutions when I've read them - they're already available on the AGM page.

No comments:

Post a Comment